Options Bar

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Latte 14, What creates the best coffee shop experience?

Oops, I got so into the latte making that I forgot to take a picture until about three sips and ten minutes into that latte.  To briefly describe the confusing latte the shot was excellently executed, where as the milk was not up to par.   This morning I had a somewhat lengthy conversion with a batista from Java, Kyle Brewer, regarding the different colored creme.  After our discussion he handed me the book, The Professional Barista's Handbook, by Scott Rao.  After skimming the book, and reading a significant amount despite my homework.  I attempted some of the shot pulling techniques Rao described.  To my astonishment, they worked.  The the shot pulled thick, dark and smoothly.
The Professional Barista's Handbook: An Expert Guide to Preparing Espresso, Coffee, and Tea
Aside from that intriguing conversation, I later had another conversation with an avid reader of this blog, TJ Kastning.  He posed the question, what are the elements that create a comfortable coffee shop experience?  Some ideas that bounced around included, coffee quality, customers, music, employees, etc. Perhaps it is a combination of several these.  Anyways, that is a head start to the same question that I am going to pose to you, the reader.  What elements, for you, create a comfortable and enjoyable coffee shop experience?

2 comments:

  1. An excellent coffee experience - sharing the coffee hour with a good friend and a mocha in hand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems odd to me that Starbucks and Dutch Bros don't consider places like Java and Calypsos to be their competition. They completely are. Java has created a very unique organic feeling.

    They say a companies employees are a reflection of the owner/manager. The employees at Java are cool and laid back, so that's one bonus for Java that the larger chain coffee shops don't have.

    ReplyDelete